[pianotech] YC Capo Bars

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Sep 19 18:31:43 MDT 2010

On 9/19/2010 6:57 PM, Roger Gable wrote:
> Ron,
> Yes, you're correct to pick up my association of bad sound to lousy
> pianos. Let's digress a little. Why do some manufacturers laminate and
> others not. Lamination provides for a better string termination because
> of the grain orientation and is, by far, easier to manufacture, but why
> hasn't there been a ground swell toward the laminated bridge?
> Roger Gable

The grain orientation is a non issue in a laminated cap. You're making
what amounts to a fiber reinforced plastic bridge cap. The hardness and
density is what does the job. Laminated caps are both more difficult and
expensive to build, and harder to notch than solid wood caps. That, I
presume, is why so few manufacturers are using them. That, and the
presumption of the techs out in the field that they are inferior because
they haven't heard one in a decent piano.

Ron N