[pianotech] YC Capo Bars

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun Sep 19 18:22:36 MDT 2010

Roger:

Probably the answer to that one is that most manufacturers don't care enough
about the quality of the product to bother one way or another.  You would be
surprised to learn that Bosendorfer uses laminated caps, as does Sauter (at
least in the treble), so it is not something you will necessarily see only
on a cheap piano.

As a rebuilder who has long recapped bridges, it is my experience that it is
very difficult to consistently get good maple that is hard enough.  It seems
to be a crapshoot as to whether or not you are going to get it, and you
don't usually know until it is too late, or you just take the scraps you can
get.

I'm about to take the dive into a laminated maple cap for my next project
for a Steinway B.  It has come to my attention that no less a luminary than
the esteemed Mr. Nossaman himself has availed himself of such materials,
using very thin maple laminations saturated with epoxy to make a composite
structure that is superior to solid maple alone.  I'll defer to him to
describe its superior characteristics if he is so inclined.  (And by the
way, I heard Ron's Steinway B in Rochester too.  I believe it had a
laminated cap, and it didn't sound pinched either, so there!!).  Also, that
most noble of gentlemen Mr. Terry Farrell has been known to make a laminated
cap or two.

Will Truitt