[pianotech] Harpsichord Tuning Pin Torque

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Sep 16 22:17:25 MDT 2010

On 9/16/2010 10:46 PM, Joseph Garrett wrote:
> Ron N said:
> The piano industry had to have gotten it's approach from somewhere,
> didn't it?
> Joe says: The piano, in my estimation, is the classic example of
> "seat-of-the-pants engineering".<G> However, I was of the opinion, we,
> collectively have gone beyond that and are finally quantifying and
> qualifying how a piano should be made. ??? Right???<G>

Have we? What's the percentage of folks trying to make design
improvements compared to those reproducing what was there? Read the
lists for a while.

> Ann Garee recommends taking the pin out, no matter what type it is. I'm
> just going under the assumption that that is the common practice.
> WhadaIknow?<G>

It's a smaller version of a modern piano tuning pin. Why isn't anyone
recommending removing them for string replacement? I'd have to disagree
there.

>I would assume your are one of those, oh great Wookie.

Well, I do tune and service a few of them, sporadically, noticeably
short of greatness, I'd say.

>So, regale
> me with your wisdom on this subject. Surely you have measured this sort
> of thing in your meanderings in the realm of fixin' stuff.<G>

Nope, any more than I measure piano tuning pin torque with rebuilds.
Feel is a plenty good enough measurement for feel related processes, for
me. Do you measure key bushing fit, or go by feel? How about buying shoes?
Ron N