[pianotech] Harpsichord Tuning Pin Torque

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 16 21:58:50 MDT 2010

Alan said: "
You might want to tune a harpsichord known to be in good condition vis a vis tuning pin torque in order to get the "feel" to which others have referred. Delignit being so similar to metal in its behavior MAY turn out to be a disadvantage where getting a good feel on the pin torque is concerned, though it will almost certainly solve your structural problem, introduced by the additional pull of the added fourth choir."

Alan,
I really don't want to tune any of them. I don't even like the darned things, from a musical sense. They are interesting though. And, the reason why the piano came to be...so, I'm interested from that stand point.<G>
I'd disagree in your comparing delignet to metal. What's that all about. Delignet, if used properly, can give a very smooth, consistant tuning pin feel. Used incorrectly, it can be a pretty ugly scenario tho.<G> It does not come into the considerations for structural integrity. It was simply what I had lots of, in my shop. And, I do use it, almost exclusively. The integrity of the structure has to do with real STEEL! Sabatihl did a truly blastphemous deed and added steel to his structures, when building harpsichords. He was sorely repremanded by just about everyone in the "harpsichord clicque", or so I've heard.<G> BTW, I have convinced the owner that the fourth choir should NOT be put back on the instrument. That and my redesigning of the initial instrument, should assure no further "self-destruction". (Hopefully...sigh)<G>
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police