[pianotech] Harpsichord Tuning Pin Torque

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 16 21:46:45 MDT 2010

Ron N said:
The piano industry had to have gotten it's approach from somewhere,
didn't it?

Joe says: The piano, in my estimation, is the classic example of "seat-of-the-pants engineering".<G> However, I was of the opinion, we, collectively have gone beyond that and are finally quantifying and qualifying how a piano should be made. ??? Right???<G>
> I'd like to
> get a good "t" hammer w/hook from them as well. (Sigh.)

Follow the link Ann posted, or (more fun) make one.

Joe says: On my list of things to do.<G> I appreciate the "link" Ann!<G> Thanks.

> The one thing that bothers me is: when a
> string breaks, (which is often), the owner/player of said harpsichord has
> to take the tuning pin out of the pin block to work the "magic" technique
> of replacing/winding the string. (I took Ann Garee's class at the Vegas
> thingee. Had fun and learned a bit about that aspect of these critters.<G>)

You lost me altogether here. If you're using a 3/16" drill, you're using
square top zither pins??? If so, there's a hole in them, and they
needn't be removed to replace a string. If you're talking about the
swaged wedge top pins with no hole, yes, you have to remove the pin and
wind on the string, but they're considerably smaller in diameter, aren't
they? They are also tapered, and very easy on pinblocks (as are the
square tops, for that matter). So you have concerns about what I see as
two mutually exclusive systems. Which is it you're dealing with?

Joe says:
Ann Garee recommends taking the pin out, no matter what type it is. I'm just going under the assumption that that is the common practice. WhadaIknow?<G>

As for torque, as has been noted - something just past holding. You sure
don't want them tight. Well, maybe *you* do, but I assure you the tech
who will be servicing it won't be positively impressed.

Joe says: NO! "Moi" does not WANT them tight, (too tight or anywhere close to that)! Why would I? I'll probably be "the tech" that will end up servicing this THING! (Yikes!) I'm just looking at getting some information from those who do a lot of this sort of thing. Not  the ones that just tune the darn things and don't do any major repairing type stuff. I would assume your are one of those, oh great Wookie. So, regale me with your wisdom on this subject. Surely you have measured this sort of thing in your meanderings in the realm of fixin' stuff.<G>
Ron N

Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police