[pianotech] Harpsichord Tuning Pin Torque

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 16 21:34:56 MDT 2010

Ann said:
"As for torque, no, those of us in that business don't bother measuring torque. The string tensions are nowhere near as great as on modern pianos, so seat of the pants, or should we say, feel of the hand, measurements of tight enough or not are completely adequate. Besides with tapered tuning pins, you just tap it down into the hole a bit more if it's loose, or pull the pin and shim it quickly. These are quick and simple operations, unlike on a modern piano. Why should we waste on time getting precise measurements when we don't need them? We have other things to do with our time that are more useful, productive, or fun.

In general, I find the T shaped tuning "keys" give me much finer control, essential for harpsichord tuning. You can pretty much just forget you piano tuning moves. I use the my thumb and forefinger on one side of the T and pinky/ring finger on the other with very slight movements. "

Ann,
Thanks for some of  the insight into the  tuning aspects. However, I'm not into tuning them, I'm Building one, or rather redesigning and building a major part of the instrument. I want it to be right. I am not dealing with tapered tuning pins. I am dealing with standard and non-standard tuning pins. The non-standard ones have a verrryyy long stem, so that they can be reached in-between the other choir's strings. Because of that, I think, excessive torque would be a major problem. Also, I have not found a source for those tuning pins and that concerns me.  So, again, I need somewhere to start in this pinblock drilling process and "..just do it till it feels right" just doesn't cut it in my world, TYVM.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I