[pianotech] CA Glue

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Sep 9 21:51:49 MDT 2010

This "white" glue/CA thing has disturbed me since it was first reported,
as it seemed to be missing a sensible rationale for how it worked. For
whatever it might ultimately prove to be worth, or not, I have a take on
the water based/CA thing. Aliphatic resin (pva) glues are largely RF
curable. The RF dose heats the glue (microwave), and accelerates the
set. Heat supplied by another method ought to rationally do something
similar, in any world I want anything to do with. Since the addition of
moisture to CA glue triggers an exothermic reaction from the CA, it
looks to me that this produced heat is what is accelerating the cure of
the wood glue, and the CA has no other realistic function than producing
said heat. Bruce Clark (WNG) tells me that the Franklin Assembly 65 glue
that they sell is very responsive to heat curing, which would make it an
ideal candidate for RF cured assembly processes. So... Being so heat
cure friendly, it might well be an ideal symbiote to CA as a quick cure
PVA glue field repair.

Just a passing thought.
Ron N