[pianotech] CA Glue

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Fri Sep 10 13:29:55 MDT 2010

  Very interesting theorizing, Ron.

When I first noticed the effect, on a truly horrid hot day in California
when I had to glue many weird wippens with narrow waists (breaking) on a
tired upright, I theorized that the CA acted in some way as a catalyst
to set up the white glue, but in the absence of a rationale for it, upon
reading about CA glue and how it sets, I decided it was probably the
other way around. But if what you say is correct, both may be true.

CA glue has something in it to keep it liquid in the bottle. Upon
exposure to air, the humidity in the air ("a mono-molecular layer of
water" was how the site described it) breaks this substance down so that
the CA can crosslink. The crosslinking is the exothermic reaction. I
learned from this same article (which I believe had been put on the web
by a company which made CA) that CA bonds best in moist conditions, and
it likes protein -- hence its gift for gluing people together. This also
explains why it gets ivories so thoroughly stuck down, especially when
one has cleaned the key crud off with a damp rag -- it likes the
moisture, and it loves the traces of old hide glue. In fact, this bond
for putting back on old ivories may be a little TOO good. If I remember
right, Joe Garrett fumes about ivories put back on with CA, because they
are the very devil to get back off again (should one wish to.)

It also prefers mildly alkaline conditions, and apparently white glue
gives it this.

The reason that CA didn't work alone for me that first awful day (I had
never used it previously, so I didn't know how) was that I put on too
much. A big glob of it won't set up because the humidity in the air
can't get into the blob to reach  the stuff which keeps it liquid in the
bottle. This also accounts for how people in very dry climates think
it's wildly over-rated. If they either used it with a water-based glue,
or breathed on it, they'd get better results, especially if they
realized they need to use only a thin layer, and that the water-thin CA
doesn't fill gaps worth a damn.

Together, they seem to be a better gap-filler than either alone, because
when they mix they get VERY EXCITED and sort of foam and froth, and the
foam hardens. So, it seems like they try to expand on contact, and if
one is pressing the pieces together, this may drive the glues
(especially the thin CA) deeper into the surfaces. Also, white glue
remains pliable, so it can accommodate some swelling and shrinking in
the pieces glued, without pulling the joint apart, like a glue which
sets up to be more brittle would.

Theories are all very well, but I wish somebody who knew their way
around a laboratory would put in a few hours and figure out what is
really happening.

Susan Kline