[pianotech] CA Glue

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu Sep 9 19:14:20 MDT 2010

  Mike, when I first bumbled into and later experimented with the white
glue-CA combination, I theorized that the white glue did the heavy
lifting for the joint long-term, but the CA bond kept the joint together
till the white glue had a chance to cure completely.

Later, I started to wonder. It seemed that the bond was stronger with
the CA in there, instead of just faster. As far as I know, no one has
set out and tested this, testing bonds to destruction. It would be
interesting if someone with real materials science education and
experience did some lab work about this phenomenon. I'd also be
interested in how the bond using accelerator differed from the bond
using white glue instead, or the bond using nothing but CA.

And of course one could try these three options using different
materials as well.

Susan Kline