[pianotech] CA Glue

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Thu Sep 9 09:49:49 MDT 2010

  Terry,

I've been using the white glue and CA method for field repairs of ivory
keytops since I read Susan's description here on pianotech.  My "white
glue" of choice for this repair is PVCE.  Can't speak to the absolute
strength of the bond compared to CA alone, but I like to think that the
flexibility of the PVCE layer will keep the joint intact in spite of the
differential expansion / contraction of wood and ivory.  Just like
installing plastic tops with PVCE, except you've got a layer of CA to
keep the water in the glue from curling the ivory.  Bonding, while not
"instant", has been fast enough, meaning that after 10 seconds or so I
can let go of it and the top neither falls off nor curls.  Just my take.

Mike