[pianotech] Seasoned Wood

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Fri Mar 26 20:08:52 MDT 2010

I think the point to be taken home is that though Yamaha dries the wood in
three different ways, it is a false premise to suggest that one particular
level of drying will suit the dramatic climatic extremes found in North
America.  North America has desert climates (consistently very low RH
levels), tropical climates (consistently very high RH levels), and temperate
climates in which the RH fluctuates wildly from very highs to very lows.  In
the end, though Yamaha "seasons specifically" the process does us
essentially no good here in North America.

I see more reason to accept Yamaha US's argument against Grey market as one
of cost and supporting a product that was retailed in another country -
which should be supporting that product.  That at least has some "business
sense" to it (whatever that is  ;-]).

William R. Monroe