[pianotech] Seasoned Wood

André Oorebeek concertpianoservice at planet.nl
Fri Mar 26 22:10:52 MDT 2010

Hi William and list,
Indeed, the USA has deserts and other area's that are completely
different climatewise and I have been wondering about that myself many
times in regard to the Yamaha policy. I have no answer to that. On the
other hand, at least they try to protect their products by adapting
them to specific climatic conditions before they leave the factory
(I don't know of other factories doing the same).
However, it did and does create the guarantee problems we know if one
ships instruments made for the tropics to for instance cold and/or dry
climates, resulting in the term 'grey market'.
On the other hand, I know of factories in China and other Asian
countries where Asian made piano's are re-conditioned for use in other
parts of the world and sometimes remarkably well done. That answers
the need for 'affordable' instruments with a trustworthy name and we
now have piano dealers who speciallize in selling 'grey market'
piano's only and who make much more money than the regular piano
dealers. In other words, a whole new market has been created. I have
worked with many Asian brands, new, old and grey (; and my final
conclusion is that they all serve a need. In some cases some 'grey'
importers want to make a quick buck by not paying enough attention to
the quality level of their imported products resulting in unhappy
customers and sometimes even lawsuits.
Next to being a piano technician I am also a certified appraisor, so I
know this story well, seen from different perspectives.

Friendly greetings
From
André Oorebeek

Antoni van Leeuwenhoekweg 15