[pianotech] 2nd bad client in 10+ years - seeking advice

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Tue Mar 23 10:39:43 MDT 2010

Tery, you say they PRESUMABLY now have the impression no additional work
is needed.

I think you have to find out if that presumption is correct.

If it is, and they believe the 'teacher' is more expert than you, (or
believe her implicit suggestion that you've been trying to con them), then
I would just say to them that you will be happy from now on to leave their
piano in the hands of their expert music teacher, and move sweetly on.

Agreeing to a discount for all the teacher's clients, kinda makes her a
party in all those customer transactions, and it already sounds as if she
is a most undesirable partner, quite prepared to interfere between you and
your customer every time.

Why should you charge less than your work is worth, just at the request of
this lady?  A recommendation from her will probably count for very little,
and she does not have it in her power to compel her pupils' families to
choose you!

The relationship between service provider and customer can't be improved
by the interference of a third party, and it's just asking for trouble.

I have customers who are music teachers, and they recommend me. I
appreciate that they do, and that they are happy with my service.  But
they don't ask for, or receive, any discount on my price. (In any case, if
they are legitimate their income will be declared to the IRS, and piano
tuning  will be an allowable expense deductible from the profits of the
business).

What I MIGHT sometimes for music teacher customers with whom I am on very
good terms, is offer an extra level of service out of appreciation -
perhaps some free action regulation etc, if they have been customers for
some years. But within strict limits!

A nasty business! Extricate yourself as gracefully as possible......

Best regards,

David