[pianotech] Action inertia FW versus SW

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Mar 16 23:47:53 MDT 2010

I'll just respond up here so as not to confuse:

The friction is a bit low in the bass but I would consider 50-20-15  (D,U,F)
to be the maximum friction allowable in that system.  UW not < 20.  That
formula seems to result in about 5-6 grams of friction in the hammer flange.
I bit high for me.  In this case, however, the friction might be too low.
That being said, the upper half of the piano I don't find that problematic
if my sampling is correct.  While I might want to see 10 - 11 grams of
friction around C4, 9 grams shouldn't be a disaster except perhaps coupled
with a very low action ratio.  Still a more thorough examination of the
friction note for note might be in order.  Certainly it is the least
invasive.

The lead pattern from my experience is not that high.  While there are 4-5
leads at the low end they are located well toward the balance rail such that
I would assume the FW at note 1 is probably in the 35 gram range.  Well
below excessive leading.  The pattern diminishes uniformly and smoothly to
zero leads in the high treble.  I don't think excessive FW is a problem.

Are you saying that excessive leads will contribute to a fly-away action?  I
understand the reasoning yet I don't associate heavily leaded actions with
the fly away sensation.  Low leverage and/or low friction seems to more
often be the formula for that.  In any case, I don't believe this piano has
high front weighting.

One other consideration with low friction, however,  is high upweight.  The
issue of reversing dynamic motion that you describe associated with high
front weights seems not to be the case on this particular piano.  However,
high upweights may also give the sense of having to overcome the force of
the key pushing back up and, interestingly, are also associated with low
friction.

We did discuss the "pulling of punches" but it was me who suggested it
before it was volunteered.  While he agreed with that theory had some merit
he didn't come up with it himself so I can't be sure about the power of
suggestion here.

I've abandoned the high SW concern.

The only reason I wanted to keep the BW the same on the two octave
experiment was so that I could eliminate that variable when comparing it to
the rest of the action.  Personally, I would opt for a BW a bit higher,
usually 37 grams is my default setting.  With 13 - 14 grams of friction that
puts the DW at 50 - 51 and upweight at 23 - 24.  More to my liking in the
bass.

Personally, I would prefer the 5.6 ratio with lighter SWs.  On this old,
lightweight belly it would probably sound better to my ear, though I make no
presumptions about "better" tone.  The customer's taste always trumps mine.
The piano has plenty of power however, probably too much really as he
complains about the difficulty in achieving a controlled pianissimo more
than anything else.  Overall, though, he likes the tone.  Also, with a
higher action ratio I could increase the blow distance and that would also
increase power somewhat even if I reduced the strike weights.

Maybe faster rate of change was not the way to express it.   A shorter
radius makes for a smaller circle and the slope of the lines tangent to the
circle increase at a faster rate for the same arc length.

After giving this yet more thought and with your input (thank you) I do
think you and David I. might be right that the first thing to examine is, in
fact, the friction, and probably the hammer flange friction, and see where
that takes it.  If there is still too much differentiation between the
initial part of the key strike and the follow through then it might make
sense to consider raising the action ratio by sampling some 16 mm knuckles
with a different weight hammer.

BTW this action does have a new key set otherwise you are correct, a 17 mm
knuckle by itself on most Steinway actions will not yield a low 5's AR.
While I have not measured the actual key ratio I think it is safe to say
that it is in the neighborhood of 2:1 or lower.  Or in Stanwood terminology
.50 or less, perhaps in the .46 - .48 range.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com