[pianotech] Action inertia FW versus SW

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Wed Mar 17 05:34:40 MDT 2010

Oncethe stroke is initiated the action accelerates with not enough control and thepianist gets a feeling of being disconnected from the keys.  The pianistfeels that he loses control and a sense of weight through the stroke. Also, because this fly-away issue controlling pianissimo playing is difficultand must be done with the utmost caution in arm weight (I can tell this myselfas a player).

  I would take a close look at the "magic line", and see if perhaps the capstan contact patch is moving through the line very early.  If so, you have a decreasing action ration from almost the start.  A larger knuckle will move the crossing point lower, possibly restoring a bit of control on ppp.
       If capstan placment on the new keys is too close to the balance rail, there may also be a slowing down of the action due to FW getting the upper hand with the leverage.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT