[pianotech] Action inertia FW versus SW

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Tue Mar 16 22:51:24 MDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On
Behalf Of David Love
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:59 PM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Action inertia FW versus SW

David Love writes:

The AR is in the low 5's measured using my dip/blow tool measuring
device.  The action regulates with quite deep key dip, around 11 mm,
such that I have actually shortened the blow and shallowed the dip by 1
mm to see if what he was responding negatively to wasn't getting buried
down in the keys.  While it did help it wasn't the complete answer.

Nick writes:

Yes, clues to the problem. 11 mm dip is too much for most of us. My
limit is 10.7 mm, and that with a blow distance as close to spec as
possible, maybe a couple of mms short at the most, and I consider that a
compromise.

SWs are I think what would be called Medium High note #1 about 12 grams
and note 88 around 5.5 grams.  Not that high actually, especially
considering the low leverage.

Agreed, not that high. Doesn't fit the "high inertia" profile at all
points.

BW is around 35 grams--pretty light though his complaint is about sense
of too much weight, ironically.  Friction from my samples is around 10
or 11 grams in the bass and around 8 or 9 in the treble-a fairly narrow
spread.

Friction seems low --- a classic indication of fly-away actions.
Assuming DW to be 50 (a kind of all around useful standard) and UWs to
be 20 (another sort of standard) friction would be 15 grams. When the
centers are more or less correct, and hammer weights and strike weights
are reasonable, this "standard setup" of 50 - 20 - 15 usually does not
elicit a complaint unless there are other issues.

FW's appear to be relatively low based on number and placement of leads.

This concerns me. Where are these leads, and how many. I like the 3 - 2
- 1 - "none" scenario. When possible, 3 leads in the bass; yielding to 2
somewhere in the mid to late tenor; then to 2 in the mid to late treble;
finally to 1 and none in the mid to late high treble. Other things being
equal, complaints as to high inertia are indeed rare.

BTW, high inertia complaints, as we deduce from our customers (and from
our own senses) and seem founded due to the presence of several leads
(and these close to the key front) have less to do with the initial
stroke as they do to the key and action system reversing itself quickly
and repeatedly up and down. Still, presumably the leads imply the
existence of heavy hammers along with higher static and dynamic friction
to overcome.

After a long discussion with the pianist today I think inertia is not
really the problem.  My present theory is that the problem is a fly-away
action. By that I mean that the keys seem to fall away from the fingers
too quickly.

Leads and low AR will cause this effect.

Once the stroke is initiated the action accelerates with not enough
control and the pianist gets a feeling of being disconnected from the
keys.  The pianist feels that he loses control and a sense of weight
through the stroke.  Also, because this fly-away issue controlling
pianissimo playing is difficult and must be done with the utmost caution
in arm weight (I can tell this myself as a player).

Quite so. Again, extra leads, low AR and low friction, when these all
conspire will cause the precise effect being outlined here.

Yet there is a sense of resistance that he doesn't like especially in
very rapid passage work.

Right: "especially in very rapid passage work". The dynamically changing
and reversing system resistance is one thing, but extra leads in a key
rising up to meet the next stroke will have to be overcome with an
uncomfortable force. It will feel like resistance.

Though it is difficult to know exactly what is going on my current
thinking is that because of the fly away tendency there is a natural
inclination to be very light with the touch even in rapid passage work
instinctively in order to avoid the fly away sensation.

Good guess, although I wonder about the 'resistance'. Does your player
agree that s/he has to "pull" his punches in order to control things?
What is the repetition spring strength like? If too strong, especially
in a fly-away action, the resistance met when the jack and rep lever
start to escape is quite rude. In another post, David I. suggested
"friction is low...I would consider repinning hammer flanges.. (better)
control will be noticeable..."

This attempt at a very light touch makes it difficult to initiate the
stroke sometimes due in part, perhaps, to the highish SW numbers.

Sounds as though you are focusing on the "highish" SW numbers. Perhaps
they are borderline, but just over the edge of acceptability for this
action. High or "highish" SWs and hammers, coupled with low friction and
a too-low AR can be a control-killer.

I am leaning toward an explanation that the action ratio is too low and
that for this pianist he might be better served with a higher leverage
by virtue of a shorter knuckle hanging and lower strike weights keeping
the FWs relatively low and the BW the same.

Agreed, though personally I would not be too locked into the BW; you may
have to fudge. But, the knuckle is one concern; the other big one is the
key ratio. Is it higher than 2 to 1 (as measured horizontally)?

Of course, with an existing action it's difficult to test this without
spending a lot of money.  My current suggestion, then, is to hang two
octaves of hammers with 16 mm knuckle shanks (I have some old Steinway
hammers on shanks taken from some action rebuilds in the shop) with
modified strike weights (lower) that will offset the change in ratio and
leave the BW the same.  Not too hard to calculate this and do a prior
set up on the parts.  Then I can just swap two octaves and he can test
it out.

Always best to experiment, prove the point, when at all possible. But
why is the friction low? Are the hammer centers too loose? Key bushings?
Whip centers? If so, this would be the very first thing I would try.
Tightening these up will increase the touch weight, but at least some
sense of control might make an appearance.

Still, a change from a 17 mm knuckle to a 16 will (more or less) raise
the AR by a half point, (say 5.1 to 5.6) increase DW (FW) by a few
points along with friction at the profiles by a point or more. In order
to offset or accommodate this, hammer weights across the spectrum would
have to be reduced by something like 0.50 to 0.75 grams compared to what
they are now. All of this will change the tone. Of course, dip will
return to normal parameters. I like your idea, but centers may be too
loose for control.

Also, it may be that the hammer weights do not require reducing, but
that only the AR needs to be raised. It seems as though the pianist
needs to feel those keys better beneath the finger tips. The higher AR
will do this. But I worry about those leads.

The lower SWs will reduce the power slightly .

Not necessarily; what is lost in SW (heavier hammer) is sometimes made
up for with a faster accelerating hammer head, for a given touch force
at the key end. Impact force at the string may not be noticeably
affected; still, heavier SWs usually match up better with heavier
bellies and higher tensions. It takes a big rock to move a big rock.

Generally, I see a trend in a lot of action rebuilding which I think has
potential problems and that is forcing the action leverage down very low
in order to get the most facile, low inertia performance.

I don't know about this trend, but I imagine you see more of this "out
there" than I do. If by low ARs you mean 5 and low 5s, then yes,
potential problems. Usually, however, in order to reduce the AR from,
say, 5.9 or 6 + all the way down to 5.1 the required key dip (as your
point out) will almost certainly be too long. Unless a new keyboard /
keyframe and balance point is properly worked out, an existing frame
will not allow for such a drastic change.

While this undoubtedly appeals to some pianists it can also create
problems and not only with regulation (increased key dip), but I'm also
wondering if the sense of fly away isn't also related to an AR which is
too low.

Unquestionably, but for different reasons than low friction which is the
usual culprit.

It would make sense in terms of shortening the shank radius and the
faster rate of change through the stroke (time to review my calculus).

By this I think you mean, "shortening the shank radius (thereby causing
a) faster rate of change through the stroke." A faster rate of change
through the stroke implies a higher AR, faster hammer speed and more
impact power for a given hammer weight.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com