[pianotech] Was: TuneLab as an IPhone App

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Mon Mar 15 22:52:50 MDT 2010

TuneLab is a fabulous piece of software.  I've been using it since
2002, and I used to have to drag a laptop around for tunings.  Now I
have it on my Windows Mobile phone.  The iPhone version is the same
program, with an improved interface.

Just like anything else, you need to learn how to use it correctly.
But I still use it for pitch raises, because it does that good of a job.

I've used RCT, Verituner, and the SAT, and for me, the interface of
TuneLab works the best.  The spectrum display at the bottom is like an
oscilloscope.  You can do a pitch raise without mutes, because you can
see all the strings at once!  Some people prefer a spinner like RCT or
the SAT.  I found RCT overly complicated, with several different
programs, and several different displays.  There have been comparisons
in the Journal.  Stopper's "OnlyPure" has gotten got reviews, too.
I'm pretty sure TuneLab is the cheapest, and the only one with a trial
version (except not on the iPhone).

But to your question, is TuneLab a valid tool for a professional?
Absolutely.  It even handles alternate temperaments and the RPT exam.
You can read the documentation in the Downloads section here:
http://www.tunelab-world.com

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
Albuquerque, NM