[pianotech] Was: TuneLab as an IPhone App

Jim Moy jim at moypiano.com
Tue Mar 16 11:43:10 MDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Cy Shuster <cy at shusterpiano.com> wrote:
> Just like anything else, you need to learn how to use it correctly.  But I
> still use it for pitch raises, because it does that good of a job.

No mute pitch raise!

** NO MUTE pitch raise!!  **

It works optimally when you're more than 20c flat, so that the pitch
"peak" that you're moving is distinguishable from the others on the
spectrum display. Often the slope of the peak causes it to combine
with the other notes, making it difficult to distinguish which one is
moving. So as I get close and have a feel for how much each bump on my
Cyberhammer is raising it, I "throw" the second and third notes as
close as I can to the first one within that +/- 10c window. I get my
Cyberhammer in the right hand, tap the note-up button with my left
hand, and go for it.  I'm regularly through the first pass in less
than 15 minutes, and it's comfortable activity, not such a frenetic
rush like it used to be when I was moving mutes. It's really nice.
Standing up in front of grand pianos too.

Great tool.

Jim