[pianotech] pianotech Digest, Vol 17, Issue 104

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Sun Mar 14 15:17:55 MDT 2010

> From: John Ross <jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca>
> Date: March 14, 2010 1:22:14 AM EST
>
> Hi Joe,
> I carry the two sizes of jack springs sold by the supply houses, one for a spinet, and one for an upright.
> There is quite a difference  in size between them. I know the spinet size is too small for the upright action.
> The upright one is compressed too much in the spinet action. Ok it may have been a console. I haven't done enough over the years to have noticed.
> I use the terminology because it is what the catalogues use.
> Of course I compare the size of the springs before installation, so console, spinet or upright, use what ever spring applies.

Hi John - I think that we are on the same page regarding which size spring goes where;  replace with the same size that you took out pretty much sums it up.  I had been confused by your "I used to use the previous ones, on both console and the full size actions" statement in your last reply, which is why I wrote back.  I, personally, find the general terminology about spinet parts and console parts used in our industry to be confusing.  Maybe it's just me?

> Is there a manufacturer, who does not glue the springs in?
> When you seem to complain, of the new spring being glued in, without needing to be. Then that information should be supplied by the seller.

I didn't write clearly, sorry.  Typically, the glue used to attach the jack springs to the wippen body on an older action is quite easily removed (a little dab of brittle old hide glue, often).  In this case, the rebuilder who put the new-type springs in used a large quantity of a modern glue which I didn't recognize, which dried very hard and tough.  I didn't find a solvent that would soften it, and it took several hours to chip/grind/drill (with the jack hole reamer chucked into an electric drill) the old glue out.  The glue dulled the teeth on the (steel) jack hole reamer pretty quickly.  So, I was just complaining about the violation of the "think of how the next guy is going to redo this someday" principle in our craft;  I didn't mean to imply that the new springs shouldn't be glued into the wippen body.  In fact, I don't know if they come with any instructions, but I will order a set this coming week, try at least a few of them in an upright, and report back about my initial impressions and any accompanying instructions.

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh