[pianotech] mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com

John Dorr a440 at bresnan.net
Sun Mar 14 10:11:04 MDT 2010

>Subject: Re: [pianotech] 1880s Steinway Grand - viable project or no?

>>Terry Farrell writes:
>John - Regarding the soundboard & oil-canning, etc. - it's not a pitfall if >you simply plan on replacing the soundboard! Many (most - hopefully!) of us >would not even consider rebuilding a piano like that without planning on >soundboard replacement - and redesign, preferably.

>Terry Farrell

Terry,

There are many people on this list who I hold in very high esteem after
reading their posts for years.  Too many to list, but you, sir, are definitely
one of them.  Thanks to you I am another convert to West System Epoxies.
 Thank you for that.  I also appreciate your sense of humor and would love to
buy you a few beers sometime, if you tip the stuff.

enough fan mail...
So I hear what you're saying, but if this soundboard proves ok, why WOULD you
replace it?  Seems like an 85 note piano is not going to fetch all that much
money and the new soundboard may not provide a real return on its investment.
 I guess, that is, unless I do it myself and the costs were lower.  (So if I
planned this, I'd wait until I did that to one of my own lesser grade pianos
that I felt less obligation to be PERFECT on first.)

Sustain in the killer octave on this piano was good, and the tone is nice,
even with its worn hammers and FAR from regulated action.  I AM seriously
considering a new WN&G composite action, with the Stanwood Touch Design
protocols, btw.

Eager to hear more,
John Dorr, RPT
Helena, MT

PS  by the way, you can actually take me up on the brewskies if you're heading
to Las Vegas.  I'll be there as the Mover Of Pianos!