[pianotech] Premium service

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Wed Mar 10 14:12:15 MST 2010

Ok, help me out here. I've explained myself three or four times now, without apparent result, so I'll give up. How do you guys price this work? Are people everywhere but here ready to spend $100+ to have their piano cleaned?
Ron N

It all depends on what we do to make the piano look better. Some owners don't care what the piano looks like, as long as it plays and sounds right. But there are some customers who would rather you spend an hour cleaning the piano, and don't care what it sounds or plays like.

I offer the cleaning, case touch up, etc, as an additional service, and it's all based on how much time I spend, just like my regulating, voicing, repairing, is based on how much time I spend.

I think what you're trying to say, Ron, is that you don't stress the cleaning, polishing, etc., part of your service call unless the customer asks for it. But there are tuners who stress that part of the service call as much, if not more, than the technical part.

Wim