[pianotech] Premium service

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Mar 10 13:52:34 MST 2010

William Monroe wrote:
> I really don't think I should have to get grubby lubricating
> key bushings or some such.  If it needs it, I do it.

I do too, as it becomes part of the job at that point.

>Honestly Ron, just
> because something is cosmetic only doesn't make it valueless.  The field
> we work in is the arts.  Aesthetics are part of it, and just because the
> aesthetic portion of piano work ranks rather low on your scale, doesn't
> mean it's that way for everyone (or even the majority).  And certainly
> it doesn't justify condescension like your comparison to caster
> detailing.  It really was condescending, Ron, unjustly so.

It wasn't meant to be condescending. It was meant to make the
point that cleaning for cosmetics sake isn't a necessity for
the function of the instrument, but insisting on cleaning the
soundboard and plate (when you won't be in there with your
hands) is no different from insisting on cleaning the casters.
It's arbitrary. The manufacturer chose those big brass wheels
for a visual aesthetic, rather than any functional purpose
that ugly rubber wheels would serve.

And I didn't say cleaning was valueless, did I? I said it was
non performance cosmetic.

>David simply
> suggested vacuuming, you were clearly mocking the mere suggestion of
> it.

No, I wasn't, at least not intentionally. I am baffled that
people elsewhere would actually pay what it cost to do. They
typically won't here.

>Would it really be so difficult to simply say something without
> being patronizing?

I wasn't aware I was being patronizing.

Ok, help me out here. I've explained myself three or four
times now, without apparent result, so I'll give up. How do
you guys price this work? Are people everywhere but here ready
to spend $100+ to have their piano cleaned?
Ron N