[pianotech] Upright Dolly Recommendation

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 16:48:15 MST 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Terry Farrell <mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com>wrote:

> A church client called me today and asked me to order a dolly for their
> Yamaha upright (don't think it's a U-series - maybe like a T-118 or so). I
> don't have much experience with these. Anyone have a recommendation? I'm
> thinking something like the #4009 Upright Twin Dollies from Pianotek would
> do the job. Do these hold up? I see they have a #4010 heavy duty dolly with
> bigger wheels - but does that put the piano way up in the air? Any input
> would be appreciated.
>
> Terry Farrell

Hi Terry,

One other point to consider is how far the dollies project beyond the width
of the pianos.

In the Jansen catalog they point out that the 4009 requires a 32" doorway
while the 4010 requires a 36" doorway.

Seems insignificant unless you're working in an older building prior to
standard 36" doors. Of course even with 36"+ doors I've found the dolly
extension from the back to be an irritant at times when moving one alone or
with an inexperienced assistant.

Mike
--

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it.

   Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service