[pianotech] Upright Dolly Recommendation

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Tue Mar 9 18:38:01 MST 2010

I really do not like the dollies that cradle the piano on the bottom board.
Pianos were designed to be supported at the point of the casters. The
support of the front caster gives a solid support to the keybed. Otherwise
all of the downward force on the keys has to be transmitted to the side
panels, then to the bottom board assy, then to the dolly. That is a lot of
stress that the keybed to side panel joint was not designed to handle. I've
seen institutional pianos with loose keybeds that had been on these kinds of
dollies.

Plus, the bottom board assy may not be structurally strong enough to handle
all the stress. One piano I take care of has the bottom board warped up high
enough that the bottom panel is near impossible to get off to service the
dampchaser. I have to unscrew the spring clip to get enough clearance to
rotate the panel forward and even then it scrapes against the bottom of the
keybed.

I highly recommend using only the wrap around style dolly that gives a
support at each corner of the piano. That is where the designer intended for
the weight and playing loads to be carried.

Dean

Dean W May                (812) 235-5272

PianoRebuilders.com    (888) DEAN-MAY

Terre Haute IN 47802