[pianotech] ringing dampers I forgot one thing

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 25 06:09:52 MST 2010

You should have roughly 1/4" play of play in the sustaining pedal (give or
take) before the dampers begin to lift off from the strings as you first
start to push down on the sustaining pedal.

Remember, not all pianos are worth fixing and some customers look for
everything after you leave.  What you charged was very inexpensive compared
to what most of the rest of us in here would have charged to spend an entire
day working on this piano.

You mentioned the piano has loose tuning pins in a private email to me.
This could a part of the problem too with funny sounds he might be hearing.
Some pins may have slipped.  We cannot guarantee a tuning on any piano with
loose pins.  On pianos that have been neglected, many clients because they
do not know otherwise, have the tendency to think that a tuning is "a cure
all."  It is not and this must be explained.  Tuning has nothing to do with
anything mechanical in the piano.

Don't put to much time and effort into the piano and make sure the client is
not taking advantage of you as it sounds to me like you didn't even work on
the G note down in the bass that he is not complaining about.  However, if
it has something to do with the damper levers, it could be related to how
you have set the sustaining pedal to engage or, there may be a piece of felt
missing from underneath the pedal allowing the pedal to go down to far after
it is depressed.

Marcy has a good point too that it could be the backs of the damper levers
hitting the strings if they are being lifted up to far.

As mentioned, this is a learning experience for you.  Look at it from that
angle and it won't be quite so painful.

Jer