[pianotech] The much maligned Use of Lyre

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Tue Feb 23 20:01:52 MST 2010

>>I for one, never use the lyre as a fulcrum... Bad for the knees but better
for the piano.

Do you have test results to back up this claim or is it just intuitive
analysis? I’ve seen factories use the lyre; I’ve seen keyboard Carriage use
the lyre; I, myself, have used the lyre many, many times with no problems,
especially using the brace below (tip of the hat to John Dewey).

A modern, well constructed lyre and keybed are very strong components. The
brace below makes the combination bullet-proof. Using a lyre is easier on
the back leg and definitely easier on the mover. Personally I value my back
and knees more than any piano that I move.

If you’re not comfortable using the lyre that’s fine, I have no problem with
that. There are indeed some rickety lyres that I am not comfortable using.
If you want to state it is your personal preference to not use the lyre, I’m
good with that. But to categorically state it is bad for the piano, do you
have some research to back up that claim? Because many reputable movers and
factories do use the lyre.

Dean

Dean W May                (812) 235-5272

PianoRebuilders.com    (888) DEAN-MAY

Terre Haute IN 47802

  _____