[pianotech] The much maligned Use of Lyre

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Tue Feb 23 21:10:29 MST 2010

I heartily applaud piano movers who know what they're doing, use the
right tools, and do it well.

I think most of the problems I see are simple housekeeping errors:
putting the wrong bolts back in the leg holes, putting pedal rods in
upside down, losing the lyre braces (there's gotta be a warehouse full
of 'em somewhere!).

As far as lyre damage from tilting, isn't it possible that the effects
aren't noticed while the movers are still folding their blankets?
Couldn't the joint be weakened or broken, and then work looser under
play?  I sure find lots of loose lyres; something causes it.

If the lyre needs fore-and-aft diagonal braces to resist the modest
horizontal vector of a foot pressing a pedal down, wouldn't it need a
lot more structure side-to-side if it were *designed* to be used as a
fulcrum?  Look at the side-to-side bracing of the tail leg, for
example....

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
Albuquerque, NM