[pianotech] Tuning in climate changes

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Tue Feb 23 17:36:52 MST 2010

Matthew -
Just to clarify, the impression given, perhaps erroneous, was there
was a pre-existing relationship between you and the client:
>I just had a cancellation this morning from a client

As such, one would not expect her to be checking around, especially
on the morning of the appointed day.  I guess it might be reasonable
to inquire of you whether it is your normal procedure to confirm each
appointment on the day-of.  If, for example, you had simply arrived
at the appointment, would she have tried, and would you have
(graciously) accepted the news that she had changed her mind?

As far as asking the rate of the other technician, I admit, that was
a moment of sarcastic indulgence, relating to your conjecture that
she was shopping around.  And besides: caring less aside, if everyone
else in your area were charging and getting $50  more for the same
service you provide, wouldn't you want to know that?  Even a little?

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY