[pianotech] Aluminum Pneumatic Soundboard Press Reposting

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Feb 19 17:47:29 MST 2010

jimialeggio wrote:
> Ron Nossaman wrote:
>> David Love wrote:
>>>  It is expensive no matter how you slice it
>>> (which btw I had the yard do for me).
>> Yes it is.
>
> Warning! This message has not been approved by the safety police...
>
> Just for the record, you can cut all the aluminum or brass for that
> matter on your bandsaw...I do it all the time...but don't tell anybody I
> said that. . (there's a bimetal blade in the saw most of the time, which
> I switch when I'm doing really picky wood slicing...
>
> Officer, I swear I never said such a thing!

Yes, you can, and I have many times too, as well as brass
(photo). I've cut a fair amount of aluminum on a table saw as
well. Better finished cut, but scarier. Entertain these ideas
at your own risk, and count fingers at lunch breaks and
quitting time.

The trouble with cutting rib press beams from 8' or 20' sticks
is the throat depth of your shop band saw. I did end up with a
power hack saw from my father's shop, which has come in handy
a few times, and has no length limitations.

Any former shop teachers or OSHA hit men would have been
severely traumatized and thus weeded from the list years ago,
so we're probably... uh... safe? Hmmm.
Ron N