[pianotech] RC&S board with original ribs another photo

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Feb 19 07:38:02 MST 2010

Joe:

1.   Since the long bridge and the transition bridge attach to the
soundboard in somewhat different places which can create differences in
tonal quality, the connecter tends to unify the assembly and mitigate
tendencies toward unwanted resonances or tonal differences that can (and do)
occur.  I’ve since changed my approach (see attached picture from a more
recent Steinway B).  Now the transition extends directly off the end of the
long bridge but angles away from the bass bridge.  While that doesn’t
produce the optimum scale numbers I find that it creates a slightly better
tonal transition due to the lessening of the differences between the SB
response of the two bridges.  There are other methods of connecting the two
bridges, btw, which Ron N and Del both use which involve a larger wooden
platform (maybe 5-10 mm thick)  that spans the bottom end of the  long
bridge and the entire transition bridge.  I’ve done that as well, this is
more a traditional style of connecting bridge (look at some old Steinway
As).  All are choosing between the best compromises.  They are all
improvements (in my opinion) over the original precipitous drop in tensions
at the tenor bass crossover but have their own quirks.  Since I can't make a
new plate for these pianos I have to choose the next best thing.

2.  	The extension off the transition bridge is to control the end of the
bridge effect (similar to the extension off the top of the bass bridge,
though it's usually of inadequate length on most pianos).  The length of the
extension in this case corresponds to the position of the first rib
underneath but it doesn't have to.   The bridge connector on larger
Steinways that you are referring to is the ring bridge and I'm not sure of
the reason for that one.  As you can see from the attached photo I've
removed it.  It functions well for the end of the bridge effect on the tenor
bridge but it also ties down the bottom of the bass bridge which isn't
necessarily desirable.  Since any benefit of that part of the bridge
extension goes relatively unnoticed in view of the poor scale numbers at the
bottom of the tenor bridge on the B I find it better to install a transition
and remove the ring.  The ring bridge probably does help in production as
only one bridge needs to be made and located.  The effect of the extension
is not calculated I just push it out there a ways.  Far enough to stiffen
the panel beyond the last note but not so far as to get too close to the
edge of the panel.  In this case, as I mentioned it does correspond to the
location of the first rib underneath the end of the extension.  On a piano
with a new rib layout the extension may not correspond to a rib position but
its function is still the same, to stiffen the panel beyond the point of the
last note on the bridge.

3.	The bottom of the bass bridge is undercut so that the bridge
connection to the soundboard doesn't extend beyond the first rib.  So the
bass bridge is cut back to that point.  Otherwise, the extension beyond the
rib stiffens the lower end of the panel which has been thinned in order to
make it more flexible.  Those two things would function at cross purposes.
You want the low end of the panel more flexible.

4.  	In the high treble the bridge is usually undercut back to about the
position of the front row of bridge pins, or slightly more depending on the
layout.  Enough to move the bridge to soundboard contact point away from the
belly rail a bit.  When I'm using original Steinway bridge roots I don't
usually change what they've done finding the amount of undercutting to be
adequate.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com