[pianotech] RC&S board with original ribs another photo

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Thu Feb 18 22:55:41 MST 2010

> From: "David Love" <davidlovepianos at comcast.net>
> Date: February 19, 2010 12:25:45 AM EST
>
> Here's another photo of the same piano during the notching process.  I can
> see I was experimenting with different transition bridge designs as I don't
> use this one anymore.  You can see the modified bass bridge with the
> cantilever removed.

Hi David,

Thanks for posting these pictures, and for sharing your insights and experience  with us so frequently.

I have a few questions about this one, if you don't mind....

(1) what is the purpose of the connector between the long bridge and the transition bridge?

(2) what is the purpose of the transition bride extension?

Are either of these calculated and/or proven to produce a specific result, or are they empirically derived (try some out and see)?
(I've never known the true value of the bridge connector on a larger Steinway;  I've been tempted to hack one off just to find out, but that's an expensive gamble!!!)

(3) Are my eyes playing tricks on me, or is the low end of the bass bridge undercut significantly (hard to tell with shadows)?

Speaking of which, what degree of undercutting is employed in the treble portion of the long bridge, and where?  How do you decide what and how much to undercut?

Don't mean to pester you, but the picture got me thinking (always dangerous).

Thanks,

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh