[pianotech] Steinway agraffe to strike line dimensions

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Wed Feb 17 18:05:16 MST 2010

> From: Russell Gordon <rhg at verizon.net>
> Date: February 16, 2010 4:01:33 PM EST
>
> Does anyone have agraffe to strike dimensions for note #1 on a Steinway C and an 85 note A (both around 1890)?
>
> Thanks,
> Russell Gordon

Hi Russell,

On my S&S model C, note #1 (A0) has a distance of circa 202mm from the center of the agraffe to the strike point, give or take 1.5 mm (the hammer is overcentering, and it's hard to measure exactly with the damper in place).  The piano was made in 1896, but went back to Steinway for a rebuild in the early 1960's (new board/block/bridges/action parts), so I'm not sure if that dimension was the original dimension (any possible change would have been very slight, though).

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh