[pianotech] Steinway agraffe to strike line dimensions

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Feb 18 13:43:02 MST 2010

At 20:05 -0500 17/2/10, Joe DeFazio wrote:

>On my S&S model C, note #1 (A0) has a distance of circa 202mm from
>the center of the agraffe to the strike point, give or take 1.5 mm
>(the hammer is overcentering, and it's hard to measure exactly with
>the damper in place)

That's more like it! In that case, the exact measurement ought to be
203mm, an eighth for a speaking length of 1624 mm (according to my
records).

At 23:44 +0000 16/2/10, I wrote:

>How do you arrive at that figure, Ed? The speaking length of A-1 on
>the model C is roughly 1624 mm. 1/8 of that is 203 mm...

and by the same token the measurement for the Model A ought to be 177
mm. if the same principles were followed in both models.

JD