[pianotech] Avoiding injury lifting out grand a piano action

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Wed Feb 17 15:51:18 MST 2010

 >>Myarms were outstretched widely apart to hold it at the ends, and Icouldn't bend my legs much when lifting it out due to the height abovethe floor. In the past I have had back trouble and tennis elbowtendonitis in my left arm, and I want to prevent re-injuring myself atall costs.<<

          If you want to prevent them, don't ever pull an action like that again. (I've had 4 rotator cuff repairs).  I now lift actions by pulling them out of the cavity until the hammers are clear of the block.  Reach under the front rail,  near the C2 and C5, and stand the action up on the back-rail,(resting on the keybed).  Then you can lift the action without your arms extended to the sides, which stresses the shoulder joint,  or forward, which wrecks the lumbar region of your spine.
     If taking it with me, I then step back and lower the bass end to the floor, where a dolly can be slid under it.
Always keep the action as close to your belly as possible, and don't lean forward. ,

 Regards,

Ed Foote RPT

=