[pianotech] Avoiding injury lifting out grand a piano action

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 17 15:00:38 MST 2010

Hi Robert,

Yes, there are carts available. But even then, there is not always room to use one. If you have to lift the action on your own, don't hold it at both ends. Instead, grasp the action stack at the bass/tenor break with the left hand and the treble end of the key frame with the right. I'm short, so I don't have to lift very far. Sometimes it's a "stretch" for me to put the action up on top of the (protected) piano. You can also just slide the action out a ways, and sort of circle it around, putting the keys to the back, to use the keybed as your workbench. Pianotek and Spurlock sell action supporters that you can attach to the bottom of the keybed (you have to drill a hole for the screw, though) and slide the action partially out onto them. Then there's always your lap!

When I was first in the business, I studied the piano supply catalogs like others would read magazines. Not that everything in the catalogs is good, but it gives you a real good idea of what can be had.

Best,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois