[pianotech] Avoiding injury lifting out grand a piano action

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 17 14:51:16 MST 2010

A lot of work can be done by just pulling the action out an into your lap.  Keep the balance rail as close to the keybed edge as possible.   Also you can swing the action around in the action cavity to work on the back side.   Carefully done so you don't catch hammers on the stretcher.   When I pull an action, I let it rest on my thighs above the knees and walk it to where I want it.   The thighs take a lot of the weight.   Awkward?   Yes, but effective.   You can also hold in the middle of the stack at brackets if you have the finger strength...

If you turn the action around in the action cavity, you can then grab onto the stack with one hand, fingers coming over towards the jacks, and carry it like piece of firewood against your thigh, if you get my description?

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044