[pianotech] West Systems Six 10

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Wed Feb 10 23:03:52 MST 2010

> From: "William Truitt" <surfdog at metrocast.net>
> Date: February 10, 2010 8:51:14 PM EST
> The product is West Systems Six 10 thickened epoxy adhesive....

Thanks for pointing this out, Will;  I will try it.  Always good to have more options in the epoxy world.  I am breathing System Three Clear Coat fumes at the moment....

>  ...What I really like about it is that it is a very convenient way to use the epoxy.....There is far less waste, as we typically have to pump out more than we will use with the pump system....

I just want to make sure that all list participant epoxy addicts know or remember that West Systems epoxies (and many others) can be mixed in any quantity by weight.  With a tenth of a gram scale (as is common in action work), I feel confident in being able to achieve the proper ratio (5:1 for the most commonly used West Systems products) in batches as small as 12 grams for critical applications, or 6 grams for less critical applications (I've gone to as far as three grams, but that's pushing it).  Six grams is about the weight of a quarter, so it's just a little puddle of epoxy with no need to waste any.  With a little practice, it's very easy to coax one drop at a time from the pumps.

I know I learned that on this list some time ago - thanks to whoever posted it in the past.

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh