[pianotech] Rim Separation

James Johnson jhjpiano at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 3 09:05:23 MST 2010

I found this same problem on a Boston grand a couple years ago.  It was separated around the entire perimeter of the piano and the crack was 1/16" wide in some areas.  Fortunately, the piano was only a year or two old and the dealer replaced it with a new piano.  I don't know what the factory did to repair it after that.  The suggested the flip and pour repair, but I didn't think the customer should have to settle for that on a nearly new piano so they pushed for replacement.  (By the way, this piano was a replacement for their first piano which shed  portions of the plate guilding leaving large areas of bare iron showing in the area of the sound holes.  Their third piano has been problem free.)