[pianotech] repeat business

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Aug 17 15:39:07 MDT 2010

Hi, Marshall

Consider this ... if you've got a good, stable climate which is kind
to pianos, they won't be far enough out in 6 months for people to
want to have another tuning, especially in hard times. But, on the
other hand, if you're in a place with a huge change of season between
summer and fall, if you tune in August, they'll be out again by mid
September. Would you want to have a piano tuned right before the fall
weather change? I wouldn't.

Hang in there, don't be too big a nuisance, and try to schedule ahead
at the end of your tunings, possibly offering a discount for making
the next appointment while you are finishing the first one.

After a few years, you'll be able to predict the slow times, and
possibly figure out some other work to keep you busy through them.
For instance, if people need repairs or minor rebuilding, you could
schedule the work for August, especially since many people take a
vacation then. That way, you could take home the action or keys for
work, and your customers won't miss the piano while it is out of
commission, since they're gone.

In the end, the problem is too much work, not too little. Just keep
doing good tunings, and word of mouth will get you where you want to
be, without a lot of telephone nagging or postal expenses.

Susan Kline