[pianotech] repeat business

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Tue Aug 17 15:15:08 MDT 2010

Marshall,

When I complete a tuning, I ask if I should call them in 6 months or in a
year. Usually they say a year. When I call them after whatever time period,
they often say, "Oh, it sounds fine." and act like I should hang up... but I
don't. I ask if I can call them back in a few months, and they nearly always
say "Sure."  A lot of people in my generally fairly unsophisticated
(piano-wise) clientele say "Oh, shouldn't I wait 'til the humidity goes
down?" (even though it's been seven years since it was tuned... in January).

And a too-large percentage of people have responded that they're out of
work, or spouse is out of work, although I do feel that this aspect is
improving of late.

So, I spend a lot of time on the phone in July and August having people ask
me to call them back in September. Sigh. But at least it picks up
dramatically in September, which is better if they don't have air
conditioning, anyhow.

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN