[pianotech] repeat business

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Aug 17 14:26:01 MDT 2010

Paul is correct.

It's not you. It's the economy...or it's just people.  Those who use the
piano for making money have it tuned regularly. Those who dont, or just
kids play it, etc, consider tuning discretionary spending.  They'll
eventually call you back when things get better, but food, lights, rent or
mortgage are way above tunings for the monthly budget.  It's still tight
out there, so don't worry, just drum up more new business!

I never had that much luck with 6 month advance scheduling.  Things always
change.  The best customers always just called me, and the other best
customers, I would have to remind, but always scheduled.  It was the
people who I only saw once, or after 3-4 years that never were
reliable...either moved, some body else tuned it last year, or don't care.

It's still a good idea, though, to call every 6 months and see how things
are going.  Don't scare them into the fact that "it'll cost you more if
you wait.." sort of thing. Then, you'll lose them forever, (even when the
next time they have it tuned, it's gone 30 cents out...that never sinks
in.....)

Sure, we'd all love to have 600 customers who immediately reschedule, but
that's a dream come true.  Maybe a dozen techs have ever had that happen,
but I doubt it.  One can dream, though :>)

Being on an island for 15 years, with lots of Boeing employees living
there, I got the put off all the time... people were very fickle and just
called whoever could come the next day sort of thing.I only had maybe
40-50 really faithful customers.The rest were on the "mainland".   This is
the very reason I became a CAUT....I could never rely on anyone to make
sure dinner was on the table. Strange how a small community on an island
where everyone knows everyone, can choose to be so choosey! They were
always looking for the "deal".  Piss off I finally said! Now, I get many
messages of how much they miss me!  Oh, Boo Hoo!

Sorry to rant off, but that's my story.

Paul