[pianotech] pinblock drilling clamp

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Thu Aug 12 01:55:26 MDT 2010

Mike

I had the same problem you describe, the pin block riding up on the bit. I used to hold the block down with my forearm, but that seriously bruised it. What I wound up doing is attaching a dowel to the guide, which on your press is to the left of the chuck. I drilled a 5/8" hole in one end of a 3/4" dowel, and attached a 5/8" diameter T-Nut. On the guide, I put a 5'8" bolt, and screwed the dowel to the bolt. The dowel is long enough so that when the drill is all the way through the block, the bottom of the dowel would hit the pin block. That would release the bit, and you're ready to drill the next hole.  No clamp to tighten and release, and no bruised forearm.

Wim