[pianotech] Grizzly 17" wood/metal bandsaw

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 10 21:40:54 MDT 2010

Mark Purney asked: "I'm still planning my shop and I've got my eye on this bandsaw. I was
curious to hear opinions from those who do lots of shop work if this is
a good choice. I consider this one of the most important tools, and I
don't want to regret my decision later on."

Mark,
Although the 17" is probably more bandsaw than you'd ever need, if you have room for one, then the size is o.k. However, I wouldn't recommend Grizzly. Parts can be an issue and I've heard things in that regard. I'd settle for a good quality band saw, however. Cheap is not the way to go. You are correct to consider the band saw to be one of the major tools of a good rebuilding shop. I use mine practically every day. I would recommend the Powermatic brand.
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police