[pianotech] mold

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Tue Aug 10 21:16:30 MDT 2010

I have a church client with a Baldwin Hamilton needing new hammers (which have been ordered) because the felts are coming unglued.   They also have some mold on the inside of the piano. It’s not a great amount, but I haven’t a clue as to how to deal with the problem. They have problems with 3-4 other pianos as well. Newly installed dampp chasers should stop it, and changes to their AC should lower humidity to well within tolerable limits (56% today, as opposed to 75% a few weeks ago).  How do I deal with this problem, other than tell them the piano is shot, or make sure the outside is spotless?
Thanks
Les bartlett

Les

If the mold is on case parts that you can easily get to, go the hardware store and buy some mold cleaner in a spray bottle, usually found in the bathroom cleaner isle. Follow the directions on the bottle.

If the mold is behind strings, or in hard to reach areas, you might need to do some creative ways to in there with the mold cleaner on a rag.

Wim