[pianotech] Simple repair - so why not done?

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Thu Aug 5 05:14:03 MDT 2010

  I know just the kind of customer you mean, Wim!

Happily, I don't get many of them, and this certainly wasn't one.  In
fact her husband phoned from his work to arrange the tuning (it so
happened I could do it the same afternoon), and price was the last thing
he asked about.

I was struck by the lady's patient acceptance that, as several tuners
had apparently told her, nothing could be done about her squeaky/creaky
pedal.

She was also very interested when I showed her the very grooved hammers,
and asked if that was contributing to the fuzzy and uneven tone, and is
eager to have them refaced next time.  When I showed her the hammers,
she felt one with her finger, and understood the problem straight away.

But yes, I guess we all know about cheapskate customers!

Best regards,

David Boyce.