[pianotech] D5 damper problem on a Wurlitzer grand (1962)

tom tomtuner at verizon.net
Tue Sep 29 20:04:29 MDT 2009

To Whom,

    If the Sostenuto bar is in the way -- move it. If the flange is seized
squirt some protek in there. It may help,

 But first you need to narrow down the possibilities. Remove the damper by
loosening the set screw .  Is the flange free? If not remove and repin if
necessary.

Is the guide rail bushing too tight? Are the wire bends binding the movement
of returning damper? If the wire is improperly bent it can bind in both the
guide rail  and also put uneven pressure on the damper lever .  Foreign
object? Lead weight pushed out and binding on its neighbor ?

Take a good look and don't be afraid to take things apart. I'll bet the
problem will jump right out at you.

 Tom Driscoll

P.S. Who are you?

  _____