[pianotech] Curved cast iron plate question

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Sep 15 06:40:45 MDT 2009

Hi Chuck. I don't specialize in S&S, but I'll stick my neck out anyway
(you do have a delete key, correct?) - and take everything I write
with a grain of salt. My best guess is that the plate webbing was flat
when cast in Springfield, Ohio. The string tension over the years has
bowed the pinblock and plate along with it. Maybe the pinblock had
come unglued from the stretcher (not that the stretcher has much
strength anyway) contributing to the ability of the string tension to
bow the plate/pinblock. Are we sure the plate isn't cracked - like a
fore-aft strut, again allowing movement? I don't know how common a
1/4" warp is.

I know such warping is common on real old pianos that didn't have a
full plate (I'm talking 1850s or so when you had a hitch plate and
fore-art struts bolted to the hitch plate and otherwise unstiffened
pinblock).

Did the string heights reflect the 1/4" warp? Perhaps a good way to
tell if the warp was original would be to measure original pinblock
thickness accurately. You state that the original pinblock was shaved
down on the ends to conform to the bowed plate. Do you say that based
on thickness measurements, or simply because the block mated to the
plate (the block could be warped just like the plate)? Or did you
measure the block and found that it is 1/4" thicker in the middle and
tapered on the upper side to mate? Is the block shape a plane on the
bottom?

Interesting. Now the next question might be do you want to shape the
new pinblock to mate to the presumably deformed plate, or should you
make a planar block and screw the plate tightly to it trying to bend
it back a bit (don't know how much you can really bent it - it likely
has a vertical flange on the very forward edge that goes up against
the stretcher - you'd sure think that flange along with the plate
flange would make for a pretty darn stiff plate webbing area.

So, how's that for speculation? Hey, no one else responded, at least
this way you don't feel all alone...... ;-)

Terry Farrell