[pianotech] Curved cast iron plate question

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 21:39:49 MDT 2009

Hi - I've got a question for those of you who specialize in Steinway
rebuilds. A technician in my Guild chapter brought a plate to my shop asking
me to fit a pinblock to it. It's from a Steinway M, and what seems unusual
is that the plate is bowed in the webbing area from side to side. I have the
plate upside down on sawhorses, and if you put a straightedge from side to
side across the area for the pins, there is nearly a 1/4 inch gap in the
center. The original pinblock had been shaved down on either end for a tight
fit without any filler of any kind. I've got a plan for fitting the new one,
but that's not the question. What I'm wondering is how unusual is this? Have
any of you seen this type of thing before? The rebuilder who brought it in
to my shop has been around longer than myself (Frank Ludnak of Traer, Iowa),
and he said he had never seen anything of the kind before. I would have
guessed that a plate with that amount of deformity would have been sent back
to the melting pot, or was this curvature done intentionally for some reason
I'm not grasping?  Chuck