[pianotech] Curved cast iron plate question

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 15 07:27:38 MDT 2009

Chuck,

1/4" seems like a lot, but you can figure out how to get a good fit to
the pinblock.  I would be more concerned with the string heights and the
resultant effect on hammer bore distance, assuming that the agraffes and
v-bar are similarly arched.  Steinway string heights often peak at the
top of the agraffe section, then taper off a mm or two in the high
treble, but this one might be extreme.  Don't know how you and Frank are
dividing up the tasks, but you'll want to coordinate very closely when
setting pinblock/plate height and boring hammers.

Mike