[pianotech] Humidity Control System, was Recent parts order

pianoguru at cox.net pianoguru at cox.net
Thu Sep 3 22:58:46 MDT 2009

The original post of this thread was a complaint about the business practice of a distributor for a humidity control system, Dampp-Chaser.  Many responses suggested alternative distributors.  I would suggest an alternative manufacturer to Dampp-Chaser, and that would be Moisture King.  Although I reside within 20 miles of the Moisture King facility, I have no financial interest in that company.

Dampp-Chaser's dehumidifier rod has a glass rod around which wire is wound to produce the heating element.  It is quite fragile.  Break the glass rod, and the unit is ruined.  Moisture King's dehumidifier rod looks very similar, but is not so fragile.  It is based on a patented design used by the US Navy for dissipating condensation from sighting scopes on the big guns on battle ships.  They are virtually indestructible, and the Moisture King products are guaranteed for life.  This product offers better quality, greater durability, and lower price.

The Moisture King humidistat offers the advantage of being able to adjust the "cut-off" humidity level.  While this may not be significant to many techs, the cost is significantly less than the alternative.

The big failing of Moisture King is that they have no humidifying component.  The humidistat has a jack to accept a humidifier plug, but they recommend a room humidifier from "Walmart."

While the dehumidifiers, humidistats, and humidifiers from various manufacturers are interchangable, I am sure that warrantees would be voided if a DC humidifier were installed with a Moisture King dehumidifier and humidistat.

Be that as it may, it is my opinion that Moisture King produces a far superior products, at a much lower price for dehumidifiers and humidistats, but their offerings for humidifying systems are inadequate.

Frank Emerson